As we begin 2024, it’s worth noting that January is National Glaucoma Awareness Month.
By raising awareness about glaucoma and emphasizing the importance of early intervention, we can make a positive impact. In the spirit of a healthy and vibrant community, let’s continue to focus on growth and well-being throughout the year.
Glaucoma, a serious eye disease and silently threatens vision with no known cure. However, knowledge is power, and early intervention can make all the difference. It’s crucial to recognize the signs and prioritize regular eye checkups to catch potential issues in the early stages.
The Importance of Early Detection and Treatment
While there might not be a cure for glaucoma, early detection and treatment can prevent further damage and protect one’s vision. Givens Home First emphasizes the significance of routine eye checkups and empowers our residents to take charge of their vision and eye care and proactively address any concerns.
Our Community, Our Vision: Taking Action
Givens Communities are advocates for overall well-being and health. During National Glaucoma Awareness Month, we encourage:
- Regular eye checkups, prioritizing preventive care
- Stay informed about glaucoma risks and symptoms
- Access resources and support available within our community.
- Diabetic Eye Disease: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-resources/outreach-materials/5-things-you-should-know-about-diabetic-eye-disease
- Get Your Eyes Checked: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-resources/outreach-materials/get-your-eyes-checked-protect-your-vision
- Medicare Benefits: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-resources/outreach-materials/medicare-benefits-card-glaucoma-and-diabetic-eye-disease
- Protect Your Vision As You Age: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/outreach-resources/outreach-materials/protect-your-vision-you-age
- Community Low Vision Center: https://communitylowvision.org/
- NC Low Vision Resources: https://www.enhancedvision.com/low-vision-resources/north-carolina-low-vision-resources.html